Supported Tapes, Cartridges and Media Types
Tape Label Studio supports printing tape barcode labels for the following common tapes and cartridges.
There are many more media types that are currently supported but not listed below. You are also free to use any other mediatype.
LTO – Linear Tape-Open
Linear Tape-Open or LTO is an open standard technology developed by the LTO Consortium, which is controlled by HP, IBM and Quantum. Currently LTO seems to be the best-selling backup tape solution.
Tape Label Studio supports all LTO Generations from LTO-1 through LTO-7. Also future definitions can be used anytime.
- LTO-1 Tapes (L1, 100 GB uncompressed)
- LTO-2 Tapes (L2, 200 GB uncompressed)
- LTO-3 Tapes (L3, 400 GB uncompressed)
- LTO-4 Tapes (L4, 800 GB uncompressed)
- LTO-5 Tapes (L5, 1.5 TB uncompressed)
- LTO-6 Tapes (L6, 2.5 TB uncompressed)
- LTO-7 Tapes (L7, 6.0 TB uncompressed)
- LTO-8 Tapes (future definition, 12.8 TB uncompressed)
- LTO-9 Tapes (future definition, 26 TB uncompressed)
- LTO-10 Tapes (future definition, 48 TB uncompressed)
WORM – Write Once Read Many
Write once read many tapes are mostly used for archiving purposes due to the fact, that data cannot be modified once written.
Tape Label Studio supports all WORM Generations from one through nine.
- WORM Generation 1 Tapes (LR)
- WORM Generation 2 Tapes (LS)
- WORM Generation 3 Tapes (LT)
- WORM Generation 4 Tapes (LU)
- WORM Generation 5 Tapes (LV)
- WORM Generation 6 Tapes (LW)
- WORM Generation 7 Tapes (LX)
- WORM Generation 8 Tapes (LY)
- WORM Generation 9 Tapes (LZ)
CLN and CLNU – Cleaning Cartridges
Usually cleaning cartridges are indentified by their label beginning with CLN or CLNU. Modern tape libraries recognize cleaning cartridges by their media type.
Tape Label Studio supports both variants and offers media types for Universal Cleaning Cartridges as well as generations one through five.
- Universal Cleaning Cartridge (CU)
- Generation 1 Cleaning Cartridge (C1)
- Generation 2 Cleaning Cartridge (C2)
- Generation 3 Cleaning Cartridge (C3)
- Generation 4 Cleaning Cartridge (C4)
- Generation 5 Cleaning Cartridge (C5)
3592 Tape Cartridges
IBM’s 3592 tape cartridges are designed for retention, availability and security.
Tabe Label Studio all of them – including performance, fast access and capacity formats.
- 3592 JA cartridge (JA, up to 640 GB uncompressed)
- 3592 JB cartridge (JB, up to 1.6 TB uncompressed)
- 3592 JC cartridge (JC, up to 4 TB uncompressed)
- 3592 JD cartridge (JD, up to 10 TB uncompressed)
- 3592 JJ cartridge (JJ, up to 128 GB uncompressed)
- 3592 JK cartridge (JK, up to 900 GB uncompressed)
- 3592 JL cartridge (JL, up to 2 TB uncompressed)
- 3592 JR cartridge (JR, up to 128 GB uncompressed)
- 3592 JW cartridge (JW, up to 640 GB uncompressed)
- 3592 JX cartridge (JX, up to 1.6 TB uncompressed)
- 3592 JY cartridge (JY, up to 4 TB uncompressed)
- 3592 JZ cartridge (JZ, up to 10 TB uncompressed)